In Pakistan, the researchers and surveyors carry out the process of data collection and meaningful information is derived on the basis of this data. The authenticity of data is therefore very crucial but the question here is; whether data authenticity is kept intact or not?
Data Authenticity implies that the data acquired from the real-world scenarios neither should be modified nor should be corrupted after its creation. And in any case, it should exclusively be the outcome of an acquisition process of a real-world scene. The authenticity of data also refers to the essence of what actually is being claimed against the data i.e. what it should be or what it claims to be. Although, the processing of digital data cannot be altogether eradicated it should ensure the meaning/essence is not modified.
Preserving the authenticity of data is the foremost important factor in the fair assessment of any situation, this can later influence decision making or might serve as the foundation for long-term investment. Although, data collected might encounter a number of edits during processing and analysis original script of information should not undergo any modification which might alter or create any possibility for an alteration of data throughout the data lifecycle.
Why is Authentic Data a Challenge to Acquire in Pakistan?
Ace Research has left nearly no area untapped and in Pakistan, a particular phenomenon prevails which by enlarge is the dilemma in the context of data authenticity. As far as reporting is concerned the crisp of content is ensured but the data incorporated in the report might not be fulfilling the requirement or may not be adequate enough for partial decision making. This implies that in processing and analyses of data the original data loses its essence or sometimes it can be another way round, i.e. the data is altogether either infringed with unethical practices or not even acquired from the desired sample size.
The data collected as mentioned earlier serves as the foundation for any sort of decision making, whether it relates to corporate sector, development sector, public sector or etc. the Product and services you are planning to launch, the project you are undertaking for awareness purpose or the selection of candidate for any constituency are the direct outcome of data collection in that particular domain. Therefore, if the authenticity of data is compromised just imagine the consequence of wrong assessment of product/services launch, wrong estimation of fund allocation or nomination of an undeserving candidate.
Ethical issues associated with Data Reporting and Authenticity
- All the eligible participants are not included in data collection and reporting
- Analyses of Missing data points
- All the relevant data is not incorporated in study or report
- Negative results are withheld and often not reflected in reports
- Research sponsors influence the reporting of results
- Actual numbers are replaced with percentages
- Use of inappropriate statistical test to assess and analyses data
- Conclusions derived despite unsupported data
- Exaggeration of results for media
Best Practices recommended for Data Authenticity
Following are some of the practices adopted to ensure data authenticity
- Differences should be tracked in case of the original data version and in case of editions made into the data. Also, by restricting the unauthorized changes in data and also the loss of information, data authenticity can be kept intact.
- Term and conditions of data use should be clearly communicated to all the stakeholders of data.
- The master file should be maintained, its access and right to certain changes should be assigned with due diligence.
- Researched version and individual versions should be clearly distinguished and saved in respective order.
- How many versions of a file to keep? How long to keep and how to organize versions should be clearly chalked down.
- Each data file should be clearly and categorically named in the context of versions as well as editions.
- A well-preserved document should be maintained for any changes in any version of the data file.
- The tracking system should be maintained if files are saved in a large database or a variety of locations.
How ACE ensures Data Authenticity?
Ace Research is an Islamabad based market research and customer experience management company. Ace operates with 300 plus field workforce and provides a fully automated online system for Reports, Geo Tracking, Client Dashboard and Mobile Audits to ensure data reliability and authenticity. It has a unique competitive edge in terms of ensuring data authenticity and it is the core priority of the firm to provide the best solution to its clients with the hands-on most authentic and real-time results.
All Market surveys of ACE are conducted through the online system. Surveyors use Android devices to record data and then submit results online. ACE Admin Panel approves and Quality Checks the data and then submits to the client. The client can have one or multiple dashboards with real-time results visible in the form of pre-installed graphs and tables
ACE Mobile audits can be beneficial in numerous ways like; it Eliminates fraud, you know exactly where and when data is collected with the help of time and GPS stamping on each response. Whether you are online or offline, the surveys and data collection can still be completed irrespective of internet facility. Data validity is ensured during entry and again in the Quality assurance stage.